Monday, September 17, 2007

Rottnest Island

Today I went to Rottnest Island, a place I've wanted to go ever since I heard about it. The weather was supposed to be good today, so I left on the 8:45 ferry and arrived at the island at 10:30. The water both on the way and at the island itself was just the most incredible color, I couldn't believe it at all. I'm sure that Emily is used to it and has probably seen better, but I just couldn't get over it. The beaches are supposed to be fantastic for swimming and snorkeling, and there are lots of shipwrecks around that make for great diving. I had wanted to snorkel, but it was just too cold today.

As soon as I got to the island I rented a bike. Tour buses and government vehicles are the only cars allowed, and all of the development is in a very small stretch of beach. As you bike you come across amazing bays, coves, beaches, rock formations, dunes, and even woodlands, swamps, and lakes. The birds were incredible. The only issue was that it was a little windy, which isn't that great for biking, and it was very hilly. I am proud to say that I did not walk my bike once, I pushed my way up all the hills. Unfortunately, the only time I ever seemed to see tour buses was when I was struggling up a hill. I completed the whole island, over 30 km total. Here are just a few of the many pictures I took on my ride.






One of the most exciting things for me about this island is that it is the home of the world's smallest wallabies, known as quokkas. Not only is their name fantastic, but they are just so incredibly cute you don't even believe they are real when you see them. The island is called 'Rottnest' because the Dutch explorers who came across it mistook the quokkas for giant rats. I had been biking for an hour, keeping my eyes peeled, and finally, FINALLY I saw one. I would be lying if I said that I didn't throw my bike to the ground and run up to it and started talking to it and taking pictures. It was incredibly exciting, and made me feel a little dumb when it turned out there were tons around the restaurant area. However, I saw one in its natural habitat, which is heaps better, anyway.

Eventually I decided I should get back on my bike if I was going to finish my circuit around the island. I was so proud of myself for making it to the top of this hill where the lighthouse was that I took a picture of myself. This is harder than it seems when you're doing it with an SLR camera.

Here is one of the many swamps/inland lakes on the island.


This is Green Island, and the last picture I managed to take before it suddenly started POURING rain. I was completely soaked by the time I made it back. It's a good thing I was wearing my bathing suit under my clothes!

When I got back to the settlement, the rain had let up a bit and there were lots of quokka running around. It is now my pleasure to show you lots of pictures of them and their ridiculous cuteness. I mean, look at those PAWS. There were also two chasing each other around with these little hops and it was so adorable.

So it's the time of year when the quokka joeys leave the pouch and begin to strike out on their own. I was lucky enough to run into a small family near the restaurant. There was just TOO MUCH CUTE.

I thought this would be a cute family shot, but Mom's eyes turned out red so she just looks evil.

Just so you can see how small these guys really are, here is an adult wandering around one of the restaurant decks.

On the ferry home I sat across from a man who was a volunteer tour guide on the island. He told me all about its history and kept pointing out things as we were headed back to Perth. It was such an incredible day, and I can't believe that tomorrow I'm going to the Pinnacles!!!

And now I will leave you with this picture of mom and baby quokka bums. Hooray!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura!!! There is no amount to how much I am jealous of you right now. That your so jeeealousee! I really want to ditch mom and dad for the entire time that we come out there so that we can do sisterly things together!!! I want to do everything you're doing!!!! WAAAAAAH! I miss you very much and I WISH DESPERATELY that I could be there with you!

The Most Awesome Sister You Could Ever Hope to Have
(sorry Joie XD)

Rick said...

I really wish i had some time off and Money to come travel with you, right now.I'm glad you having such a wonderful time, and I can't wait to see all of your pictures. I think the rats need some friends -- did anyone say quokkas. Continue to have a wonderful time!!!!

Rick

Anonymous said...

BRING ME A BABY QUOKKA.

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
I think you have hit your pinnacle of cutesy animals. Quokkas are so adobable. Do they bite? You would probably know. How cute are the little joie quokkas! I wish I knew that word before so I could have named one of my children " Quokka"!
I am so glad you are having such a fantastic time and am proud of your biking abilities.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I love it! And I love that you're adding some very nice Australian lingo to your lexicon! "Heaps" and "Quokka Bums"!
Keep on keepin on---you are so awesome!
Aunt D.