Sunday, September 30, 2007

Palm Valley

I spent my last vacation day on a trip to Palm Valley, about 2 hours outside of Alice Springs. On our way, we stopped at Hermannsburg, which was a German missionary for Aboriginal people. It was dusty and small and pretty old.

We then drove some more and went on a short walk to a lookout. I love the desert scenery.



Then it was time for lunch and onto palm valley. These palms are called red cabbage palms and are found nowhere else in the world other than in this valley. They are also Australia's only native palm. The hike through the valley and up onto the rim was incredible, although the only wildlife we saw was a few lizards. This is probably because there hasn't been any rain in a long time, so the animals are spending more of their day sleeping and have been moving elsewhere in search of water.



So yes, great way to spend my last day in Alice Springs. Now I'm going to check out of my hostel and later this afternoon I am catching a train that will take me back to Adelaide, where it is FINALLY warming up!

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMILY!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
Have a great train ride! Hope you can get some sleep.
It looks like you have certainly done alot in your two week spring break. I am so proud of the way you coordinated everything and can't wait to see all the photos.
Love,
MOM

Anonymous said...

We love your blog! Your grandma and I read it all the time and we feel like we're in Australia mit you.

Keep having a good time and we'll see you soon.

Love, Grandma and Grandpa

Miriam said...

Today, I went to the reptile expo. Rick was dumb and in Sacramento for one of his grandparent's birthdays, so Kelly came with me (yes, she braved the snakes!), and also one of my friends from work. Not the one you're thinking of. It was awesome and I ALMOST bought a crested gecko because it was so cute, but then my mom reminded me that I'm going to be moving a lot in the future and that having an animal like that probably wouldn't be a good idea. We pet the alligator again, and we were looking at some skinks and this guy just handed us each one, and was like "They're for you!" And they were really cute, of course, but we couldn't get them so it was sad. Later, Sable's foot randomly started bleeding all over my bed. I have no idea what happened. I put a sock on it (her foot, not the bed). I miss you!

Miriam said...

ps: Kelly and I saw a shingleback at the expo. It was really really cute. I started cracking up, though, because I could very clearly see you flailing your arms.