Wednesday, September 19, 2007

In Darwin

EDIT: I have added an awesome wildlife sighting to the bottom of this post!!!

This morning, after a scare wherein the airport shuttle literally forgot about me, I managed to get to the airport with plenty of time to spare and actually slept through the three hour flight from Perth to Darwin. I am now up in the northern part of Australia, where there is no winter. Today it was around 90 degrees, and it is a little humid, although I have heard that it is nothing compared to the Wet, where it is not only 95+, but rains pretty much every day and the humidity soars.

I am so happy to be in the warmth. I stepped off the plane and the sky was blue and the sun shining. I had no issue getting to my hostel, which is right in the middle of the city (not like Darwin is much of one, but eh). There is a tank with a young crocodile in the lobby, and at nights they take him out and let people hold him. The hostel also has a huge pool and deck, with a bar and restaurant. As soon as I checked in and purchased sunscreen from the drugstore, I ran to the pool and just lay out there for a good two hours. It was really nice, although I won't even go into the kind of complex I am currently having about the way I look (see: HUGE).

Tomorrow I am going on a two day excursion into Kakadu National Park. My greatest wildlife wish for this trip is to see a frilled lizard; we are going to be hiking right in their habitat. I am SO excited to be going! Unfortunately it will be another early day, and I am exhausted, so I'm going to head to my room soon after this.

Sadly, this hostel doesn't have any facilities that let me hook up my laptop to the internet, so you will have to wait until I'm in Alice Springs to see the pictures I'll be taking. I'll still keep you updated, though! Assuming I don't get eaten by a crocodile.

I also wanted to point out that I have now been to three of the eight Australian states: South Australia, Western Australia, and Northern Territory. Exciting! I can already tell that it will be a total (and unpleasant) shock to go back to school after all of this.

-------

So after I wrote that, I decided to get a drink on the patio, as the sun was just going down, it was pleasantly cool, and the deck looks over the ocean. I was reading my book and ended up in a conversation with a really nice guy who is in the New Zealand army and is on a break from a six-month peacekeeping mission in Timor. ANYWAY, there is a big tree that has a spotlight on it next to the deck, and as we were talking I kept seeing these huge black birds flying past the light. I assumed they were crows or ravens; they were GIGANTIC and had a huge wingspan. At a lull in the conversation I actually looked over at the swooping figures, and noticed something really... odd about the wings. They weren't big and feathered, they were leathery and had fingers running down the legnth of them.

"Wait... that's a BAT!!!" I said, once again flailing and appearing twelve years old.
"Holy *&$@, that's a BAT!!!" the guy I was talking to yelled, and ran off the deck. I do not know exactly if this says anything about NZ soldiers.

So I saw my first flying foxes. They apparently are all over the place here. If you don't know what a flying fox is, look up a picture of one. They are really, really cute, with doglike faces, and they eat fruit. They are, however, ridiculously huge. Like, however big you think they are, they are MUCH bigger when they are flying around your head. Amazing animals. I am so excited about them.

Okay, now back to finally get some sleep on my girls only floor, which I am very grateful for after sharing my last dorm room with three Irish blokes. Then, tomorrow, rainforest!

6 comments:

Daniel (Dad) Stein said...

Good luck in finding a frilled lizard! (And if there are people around, don't wave your arms excitedly -- you might hit them.)

Can't wait to hear what happens on your 2-day trip! (No crocodiles, though, please.)

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Flying foxes ( I looked them up) not so cute!!!!!!!!! they are giant bats. And I was afraid of the bats in our Rome apartment. That NZ soldier knew what a sane person should do (which is run away). Did YOU try to catch one?
I am sure that if frilled lizards are to be seen, you will see one. Just do not try to catch it.
Please be careful and do not flail around so much tomorrow that you land in a crocodile den.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

OMG FLYING FOXES ARE SO CUTE. I love them.
I mean...YARRR!
Flying foxes be the least ugly creatures t'be seen in them parts...
I be hoping ye sees a frilled lizard. If ye flails, yer guide might make ye walk the plank.
Um...
Shiver me timbers.

Anonymous said...

from joie...

flying foxes --- cool and have you noticed that mom sometimes spells baby kangaroos "joies" in her posts???

Anonymous said...

from joie

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Seven-year-old Finley Collins thought her pet 12-inch bearded dragon might be giving birth when she noticed an unusual protrusion near the lizard's tail.

But Finley's father, Jeff Collins, feared it might be something more ominous and rushed Mushu to an animal hospital, where a veterinarian pulled out a 7-inch toy rubber lizard.

"I've never extracted a lizard from another lizard before," said veterinarian John Rossi.

Rossi had sedated Mushu and pulled on the protrusion.

"The next thing I knew, I was seeing legs and a body and a head. It was very strange to be tugging on this thing," he said.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I am a little late in reading some of your blog entries, but I too am SO jealous that you got to see gigantic bats. When we were at the zoo, I made Jeff go and look at them twice with me - they are SO COOL!