Saturday, September 22, 2007

Kakadu Day 1

Happy Yom Kippur, everyone! I am being good and fasting today, despite the 92 degree heat + humidity. I have secured myself an enviable chair by the pool, so I'm just going to give you a quick summary of my time in Kakadu. It will be more awesome when I can post pictures, anyway. Here is the first day; I will post the second day tomorrow (or later tonight if I feel like it).

At 7:00 AM I met the rest of my group and the tour guide, and we began our journey in a 4WD truck with no air con into Kakadu National Park. We drove through eucalyptus savannah and dry floodplains (it is, after all, the dry season; below is a picture), and ended up at the Adelaide River, where we were to go on a 'jumping croc cruise'.
Essentially this cruise is on a small boat that travels out onto the river and then dangles meat over the edge, enticing the saltwater crocodiles to jump out of the water. The biggest one we saw was 6 metres (18 feet) long! Although the jumping crocodiles was a little touristy, it was awesome to see them in their natural habitat, basking on the edge of the river or making their way slowly through the water. The one in the first picture is one of the smallest crocs we saw.






They can jump their entire body length straight into the air, which was awesome to see. The best part was once we were dangling the meat over the edge, and a sea eagle came in a dive out of the sky and grabbed it. It was an amazing bird; about the size of a bald eagle if not a little bigger, and all grey and white. There were also mudskippers on the edge of the water, and although I was excited to see them they didn't seem that interesting to anyone else. As we left, we were followed by kites, small birds of prey that swooped and dove past us.


After the cruise, we continued into the park, stopping along the way at billabongs filled with incredible birds. Our camp was beautiful, surrounded by ridiculously tall rock faces.


After we left our trailer at the campsite, we drove for fifteen minutes over a crazy dirt road filled with bumps and potholes and deep water and sharp turns to reach the Jim Jim Falls hike. There were signs everywhere warning not to swim because of crocodiles.


As we hiked (in the incredible heat), the scenery changed from relatively sparse eucalyptus to lush, rainforest-like foliage, with huge, huge, HUGE rock cliffs rising all around us. We followed an incredibly clear river and occasionally spotted small freshies (freshwater crocodiles, smaller, and not quite as dangerous) along the banks. After a long scramble up rocks, we came to a white-sand beach at the plunge pool of the dried-up-for-the-season Jim Jim Falls.


It was incredible to see, and the sheer height of the rocks surrounding us made you feel very insignificant. Apparently, this pool was also safe for swimming, as it was cut off from the main river by the rocks we had climbed to reach it.


The water was amazing and wonderful after the hike, but I still had a hard time relaxing *completely* after seeing all those crocs. There were these little frogs on the banks who, when they were scared, would actually hop on top of the water. On the way back, we stopped at an outcropping of rocks and watched the cliffs change color in the sunset.




After our hike, we headed back to camp and made a big fire. We wrapped potatoes in foil and put them in the coals to cook. As we waited, we grilled sausages, kangaroo, and made a big stir fry. After dinner, our guide taught us a bit about playing the didgeridoo and passed one around. It is HARD, but we had a lot of fun. I really liked all the people I was with, and I will tell you more about them and the rest of the trip when I do my post on the second day tomorrow.


Now, I'm going to go back to laying by the pool.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man...I can just imagine what your mom is going to say about the "dangling meat in front of dangerous, carnivorous reptiles" thing. I'm glad you lived to tell the tale, it sounds so amazing! Um...Happy Yom Kippur? I never know if it's appropriate to say that or not, it's not really supposed to be a "happy" holiday...Anyways, I'm glad you are having such an amazing time and that you like the people you're with and that you are seeing so many animals! I miss you!

Anonymous said...

My dear Laura,
Jumping croc cruise!!!! Do you think a fishing boat will satisfy you now?

Have an easy fast for Yom Kippur!
I do not think the crocs would deny themselves food if it was dangling in front of them. I am just glad it was not some part of your body.

The heat must be gruesome. I am glad that you have a pool. Do the crocs ever come to the pool?

You must be in your glory seeing all those animals in the wild.Glad you like the people you are with. Are they mainly Aussies on vacation?

What adventures you are having!
Can't wait to see the pictures.
Love,
MOM

Daniel (Dad) Stein said...

Laura,

I am soooo jealous! (How many times have I said this in my blog comments? Well, each time I'm more jealous than the last.)

Mom was extremely pleased about the dangling meat in front of crocs thing. She thought you were doing it with your own hand. Somehow I don't think so, but maybe we should let her keep thinking that ... makes for a good image.

Wish I were relaxing by the pool in Darwin with you. By now I guess your fast is over, but mine is just beginning. So, hope you had a good holiday and an easy fast.

Can't wait to hear about Alice Springs and Uluru!

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds incredible--I picture it all with an Australian accent which it makes it really come to life.

I can;t wait to see the pictures...I'm trying to swing a place in the Stein Family trip to Australia--- must plead my case to your patriarch!
love, aunt debbie

p.s. I had a similar bat experience in Indonesiam (without the NZ soldier chickening out)---we were on a boat trip going from Lombok to Komodo Island. The boat was anchored for the night in a secluded bay off of Sumbawa Island and as the sun was going down we saw them---we actually thought they were Vampire bats or Batmen. They were huge and it was cool seeing them fly around in the red sky of the dusky night.
You've had such wonderful animal sightings! I'm so happy for you!

Did you see that I linked to you on my blog?

Anonymous said...

You ate KANGAROO???? Did your stomach hop all night long? I am very upset and yet I still somehow manage to be hilarious. Kangaroo killer. You ate Joie.

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures! I especially like the crocodile with the meat falling into his mouth, the rocks reflected in the water, and the fire. Awww!

And it sounds like so much fun (even if you were kind of hot and foodless)!