Saturday, July 14, 2007

I love Ron

Today I explored campus. I will admit that the buildings are really ugly, but the campus itself is beautiful. It takes me about five minutes to walk to the main campus from the dorms, but it is through eucalyptus forest that turns into pine forest and across a bridge with fantastic views of the ocean. There are also hiking trails that wind all around the forested areas of campus; I think they would be good for running in the mornings and I am excited to explore them.

There is also a lake in the middle of campus that has ducks and this large, blue water bird with a red beak and forehead (click here to see one). There are also parrots everywhere!! Aside from the lorikeets that live outside my window (and pretty much everywhere else), there are also Galahs , my favorite, and even Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos !! It's crazy that these birds are just flying around everywhere. They are very loud.

So... after wandering around a very empty campus (it is still winter break here), I decided to go to the mall. There is a big one about a five minute bus ride away, and I had a very good time. In the bookstore, one of the employees had the same taste in books as me and recommended a ton of things. I bought two of the books she recommended that looked good, and now I have a list of even more that I need to read. I got a card for the store so I get very good discounts on certain days of the week. Also, it gives me a place to buy Harry Potter when it comes out!

Speaking of Harry Potter, I also saw the movie while I was at the mall. Movies are expensive here, but I get a decent student discount and on Tuesdays the movies are like $5. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It probably helped that this was the only book that I only read once, and I don't really remember it because it was all in one sitting on an airplane, so I didn't notice anything missing. I am in love with Ron. And Fred and George.

I am going to go make myself dinner now. Here are some pictures of campus! The first is the view when I step out of my dorm, and you get two pictures of lorikeets because they are pretty and I like them.


ALSO! If you want my address or phone number, let me know!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, your adventures make me want to travel! That sense of newness is just so overwhelming--even going t the grocery store sounds exciting. Do New Zealanders have accents? Can people tell you're from America?

Anonymous said...

Laura,

do you call them Laura-keets? We miss you and love you.. Love, Joie, mark, grace and anne who is rolling in both directions and trying to crawl.

love joie

Daniel Stein said...

Ron? Please. His mouse was evil.

I can't believe that you're now living in a place where you have wild lorikeets running around outside your window! Who would have thought, all those years ago, when you first fed them in San Diego (but now we really have to go back together).

It sounds like a beautiful campus. Why didn't I know about any of these places when I went to college? Sort of makes you want to do it all over again (if you can skip over all the hard stuff that comes after).

Keep those blogs coming -- we love them! Miss you terribly.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Great Lorikeet photos! I think I'd like to make the Galah the official Bonbon Oiseau! It's just so...pinky and cranky looking!

Miriam said...

Please tell your father that Ron never had a "mouse". It was a RAT, okay??

Lol. I'm very excited to see the 5th movie, as that was my favorite book in the series (so far! I haven't read the 7th one yet!). I just hope they didn't mess anything up. And I LOVE Fred and George too.

I'm glad you're having such a good time! I miss you!