Monday, July 2, 2007

HUGE Change of Plans!!!

SO

While I was writing that last post, I was speaking with this girl, Barbara, who is finishing up a five month exchange program. She is from the Czech Republic and is studying genetics and molecular biology and is currently doing work with horse DNA and West Nile Virus. Anyway, we started talking and really hit it off, and it turns out we are both going to Waitomo tomorrow to visit the glow worm caves.

From there, however, she is going all around the North Island for the next eight days, and invited me to go with her. I am SO excited! I thought I would be stuck in Auckland for 11 days, and trust me, that would get VERY boring very fast.

And so I bumped my canyoning trip to July 12th and I'm headed out tomorrow! I suppose I have to take all of my food with me, but the hostel is holding all of my unnecessary luggage so I'm just taking my backpack. Here are some of the places we will visit:

Glow worm caves in Waitomo
Napier overlooking Hawke's Bay
Hiking in a national park whose name escapes me at the moment
Geothermal pools in Rotorua

This is really, really exciting for me, and I am very much looking forward to it. I am going to get a chance to see some of the natural beauty of New Zealand that I would not have been able to see otherwise. Barbara has been to all but one of these places, too, so she knows what she wants to see and where to go.

Whee!

5 comments:

Bonbon Oiseau said...

See!! I knew you'd meet some new people and do some amazing things. AND you don't have to cook on Wednesday!
Have a great time and keep us posted!
Can't wait to see the pictures!

Daniel Stein said...

Yikes! Sounds fantastic. Are you going to be camping or staying in hostels or ...? I'm very jealous! Keep a detailed blow-by-blow so I can enjoy it with you.

Rick said...

Yes lots of pictures!!! I'm really glad to hear that you're still doing your canyoning trip when you mentioned that you changed your plans I was worried that you weren't going to do that? Still. I can't wait to hear about that and the rest, Have a great time!

Laura said...

Aunt Debbie: Yes! I am very excited about it.

Dad: We will be staying in hostels. It is too cold right now to be camping, especially in the state parks where there is snow on the mountains. This is unfortunate, but what can you do.

Rick: I'm glad you are happy that I am canyoning still! I can only go if they get at least one more person to go on the 12th, so cross your fingers for me.

Joie said...

Wow, that was one big, tall and solid tower (That's what she said)

Glad you are having a great time..
Have fun with the glow worms... Love, Joie