Saturday, December 8, 2007

School??

I am now in Cairns, and although the first day I got here it was ridiculously hot and humid and I kept getting lost, the weather has cooled down some and now it is actually relatively pleasant, if still a bit warm.

I am staying right on the Esplanade, which is a boardwalk overlooking mud flats. Not too exciting, if you don't count the AMAZING BIRD LIFE. Lots of spoonbills, sandpipers of various sorts, egrets, herons, and gigantic Australian Pelicans (like the one in Finding Nemo). There is even a Jabiru (a huge stork taller than I am) wandering out there every once in a while. Sometimes, crocodiles show up. On the other side of the boardwalk are green lawns and a little further down is a huuuge public swimming area which is really nice. Tonight when I was having dinner there was a live band playing on the grass and a bunch of people sitting around on beach towels. Awww.

So I haven't written much because the past two days have just been spent in Scuba school, doing stupid theory and pool stuff that I've done twice now. I'm so ready to just get out on the reef and go diving, which I will be doing tomorrow!!! WOO!! I will post pictures when I get back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crocodiles roaming around? Not so sure I like the sound of that. Try to avoid petting one, even if you think it looks cute.

Looking forward to hearing about your diving adventures!

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Did you know that a cairn is a heap of stones set up as a burial mound or grave marker? You can read all about them in your father's and uncle's favorite book, The Lord of the Rings.

Love, Uncle Jonny

Anonymous said...

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF!!!
X1,000,000

Anonymous said...

Laura,

Happy Hanukah! Enjoy the reef, love, Joie