Sunday, October 21, 2007

I have more than three friends, I swear

Wow, I haven't updated in a while! I've just been doing normal things, so this probably won't be too exciting. Mostly pictures of people you don't know, so I'm sorry if it's boring.

About two weeks ago Soxi took me and Ashley into the city to this dance club. They played awesome music and we had a great time. Ashley and I took pictures under the Central Market sign, and I was wearing the shiniest shirt in the world. The Central Market is really cool; there are so many stalls selling, among many other things, really cheap local produce. It's a lot of fun to spend a day walking around there.


Me, Ashley, and Soxi in a dance club that played Spice Girls and Hanson songs. What is not to love??


Last week was also the Uni Hall Pub Crawl. We had a fantastic time and a lot of the pubs were really nice. We got these huge yellow shirts to wear, and a few days before the event Cindy, Ashley, Soxi and I altered them and made them amazing. They had a picture of Borat on the front and said 'High Five', and a lot of people in the city were very clever and giving us high fives as we walked around. I didn't drink much, but I have been trying to be more outgoing and adventurous and was talked into riding a mechanical bull at a pub called the Woolshed. I stayed on the longest out of all the people who tried, and it was really hard and I turned very red. My legs were sore afterwards, and at one point I almost fell off by tumbling over the bull's head, but I stayed on! Also, the American flag blow up thingy to fall on? Awesome.




The weather in Adelaide is ridiculously moody. Since I returned from my trip, it had been pretty chilly (around 16 degrees celcius), so when it hit 20 C/70 F, I insisted that we go to the beach. We've been for the past two weeks, and the last time we went it was very windy. I was not happy about this or the fact that my picture was being taken.

We did go swimming despite the chilliness, and afterwards James and I decided we needed to bury Soxi in the sand. Then, we made her into a bodybuilding mermaid.



Adorable ladies at the beach!

Yesterday was Hall Ball. This is like a huge prom that the Hall puts on for us Hallies. It was a fun excuse to get dressed up. I borrowed a dress from Ashley because we are the same size. I was a little apprehensive about wearing it, mostly because of cleavage, but I got over it. The day started with a champagne, strawberry, and pancake breakfast in the morning, and the actual event was held in the Adelaide Convention Centre. There was about an hour of mingling and champagne, and then a three course dinner and dancing.





Um, yeah. I have other pictures from the night, but they're mostly silly. After the dinner and dancing we went to a bar for even more dancing, and we left around 2:00 AM. When we got back to the hall, the weather was gorgeous: 75 degrees with a slight breeze, half a moon giving just enough light to see but not so much that it blocked all the stars. Soxi said that it was too bad we couldn't go to the beach, but then we decided: why couldn't we go? So we were at the beach until four in the morning, and there were lots of cartwheels.


When we got to the beach, we took off our flip-flops and left them by the stairs that led down to the sand. When we returned, our shoes were hidden among the rocks! We suspect the myriad of other people that were for some reason on the beach at 3 in the morning. Anyway, we were able to find Soxi's and Ashley's shoes without issue, but I lost hide-and-seek against my shoes. At least they were only a $2.50 pair of flip-flops.

We didn't get home from the beach until 4 in the morning, and when I went to bed at 5 the sun was coming up. I slept until 1, and then tonight went to a Wayang kulit performance, which is Javanese Shadow Theatre. The puppets were incredibly detailed, and the music was pretty cool, and it was outside and the weather was beautiful. The end, for now! Two more weeks of classes left. Next weekend I have two birthday parties in the city and surfing lessons, hooray!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that sounds like some serious carousing. I especially liked the midnight (sort of) swim. Hope you continue to enjoy your last weeks in Adelaide!

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

That dress if fabulous on you!!! Love, Joie

Anonymous said...

Blargh. I am so jealous of you! I wish there were a beach near here...
I love all of your pictures so much! I cannot WAIT until you tell us about your surfing lessons...can you have someone film them and then put the video on the internet for us? I have a feeling it will be amazing.

Anonymous said...

Laura,

You are looking up in the champagne picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Joie

Anonymous said...

Wow Laura your partying sounds so COOOOOOL!!!!!
We got such a kick out of your blog and how great you look. Keep up the good work (amd fun). Can't wait to see you. Grandma & Grandpa